There are three main strains of cannabis plants: Indica, Sativa, and Hybrid. Hemp is a type of Cannabis Sativa plant with less than 0.3% Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and a high cannabidiol (CBD) concentration. The high amounts of CBD in hemp plants made it possible for manufacturers to produce a wide range of CBD products, one of which is full-spectrum CBD.
These days, CBD products are in the rave due to their convenience and potential health benefits. Even though some of you may not be strangers to cannabidiol or CBD, you might ask questions about what a full-spectrum CBD is and how it differs from other CBD products on the market. Today, we will discuss that and more.
What Is Full-Spectrum CBD?
When you say full-spectrum CBD, it means that the product contains many cannabinoids aside from cannabidiol. This is also why full-spectrum CBD oils are also called whole-plant CBD extracts.
Other hemp plant components, such as terpenes, fatty acids, proteins, and other essential vitamins, are also present in a full-spectrum CBD product. As an overview, full-spectrum CBD contains:
- Cannabinoids: Full-spectrum CBD products contain more than 100 cannabinoids, including CBD, THC, CBDC, CBDV, CBN, and CBG, which we will tackle further in the next sections.
- Terpenes: The hemp plant contains approximately 150 terpenes, which impact the plant’s fragrance and provide other therapeutic benefits.
- Flavonoids: The cannabis plant has over 20 flavonoids that provide different therapeutic benefits. Research shows that these can provide neuroprotective, anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory properties.
The cannabinoids found in full-spectrum CBD work on various areas of your brain and help regulate your endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is where your mood, inflammation response, and sleep cycle are regulated. It also helps correct imbalances within your body by activating receptions throughout your nervous system.
What Makes Full-Spectrum CBD Different From Other CBD Products?
The product opposite to full-spectrum CBD is CBD isolate. CBD isolate contains no other plant components other than CBD. In other words, CBD is chemically isolated from the rest of the plant components. CBD isolates have no THC, the chemical that creates the euphoric high. They also have no other beneficial or nutritional cannabis compounds such as terpenes, vitamins, proteins, and flavonoids.
In 2015, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem’s Hadassah School conducted a study to determine which is better between full-spectrum CBD and CBD isolate.
The researchers concluded that full-spectrum CBD was more effective in treating inflammation than isolate. This is mainly because of the synergy between the cannabinoids and terpenes in full-spectrum CBD. This leads to the so-called “Entourage Effect,” in which the full spectrum of compounds provides more significant benefits when they work together than a single cannabinoid used alone.
What Are the Potential Benefits of Full-Spectrum CBD Products?
Research on the medicinal and therapeutic benefits of full-spectrum CBD products is still in its infancy. Early studies suggest that full-spectrum CBD may help reduce inflammation, muscle soreness, and joint pain.
However, remember that full-spectrum CBD contains other cannabinoids and plant compounds besides cannabidiol. Thus, you can also get potential benefits from other elements found in the product. Some of the common cannabinoids found in full-spectrum CBD and their potential benefits include:
- Cannabichromene or CBC: Helps in managing depression and inflammation. It also has anti-cancer and anti-fungal properties.
- Cannabidivarin or CBDV: Helps manage mood disorders, nausea, convulsion, inflammation, and pain. It is also effective in alleviating symptoms of Crohn’s disease and HIV/AIDS.
- Cannabinol or CNB: Helps in managing inflammation and convulsion. It also has sedative effects.
- Cannabigerol or CBG: Helps manage inflammation, cancer, glaucoma, and skin diseases. It also has anti-tumour and anti-fungal properties.
Full-spectrum CBD also contains Vitamins A, B, C, and E along with essential fatty acids such as Omega 3 and 6. It also contains amino acids that can speed up your body’s protein production, improve recovery time, and boost heart health. The benefit of using full-spectrum CBD mainly comes from all the positive effects when all the mentioned compounds above work together.
THC is also present in full-spectrum CBD, but only in tiny amounts. Generally, the products should only contain up to 0.3% THC to be considered legal by federal law. This percentage will not make you high, and the risk of intoxication is low when taken in recommended dosages.
What Are the Potential Adverse Effects of Using Full-spectrum CBD?
Since research on full-spectrum CBD is still in its infancy, researchers and scientists do not have all the answers regarding the pros and cons of using these products. Nevertheless, some of the reported side effects of using full-spectrum CBD include:
- Appetite changes
- Mood changes
- Dry mouth
What Kind of CBD Product Should You Use?
There is a plethora of CBD products in various forms that you can find in the market. Aside from full-spectrum CBD, other types of CBD products are also available. Before you set your mind to using one, you have to know its ingredients and differences from other products. To give you a short overview:
- Full-spectrum CBD products have CBD and all other cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids found in hemp plants
- CBD isolates contain only the cannabinoid CBD
- Broad-spectrum CBD products have both CBD and other cannabinoids but do not contain THC
Since CBD products come in various types, you have to choose the proper spectrum based on your specific needs and purpose. For instance, if you want to experience the benefit of the entourage effect and the broader effects of the cannabis plant, then full-spectrum CBD is the best option.
While you may be wary about the THC content of full-spectrum CBD, you should know that quality and federally legal products only contain no more than 0.3% THC. This percentage is not enough to make you feel high but instead amps up the anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving benefits of full-spectrum CBD.
How to Use CBD Products
As mentioned, there are various CBD products available on the cannabis market. How you use them depends on the type of product. Nevertheless, the general rule of thumb is always to start low and work your way up, depending on the product’s effects on your mind and body.
CBD topical products come in the form of lotions or creams that are applied to your skin. They are often used for skin conditions and muscle or joint pains. Some of the popular and quality CBD topical products are:
- Mota Lip Balm: This product is designed to soothe your lips with cocoa butter, organic coconut oil, grape seed oil, shea butter, and beeswax. It contains 100 mg of THC and 5 mg of CBD. It comes in various flavours, such as Key Lime and Raspberry Vanilla.
- VIDA Cocoa Butter THC/CBD Bath Bomb: You can use this to moisturize your skin and soothe your body. Packed with cocoa butter and orange and vanilla fragrances, this bath bomb will leave you relaxed and refreshed. It has 100 mg of THC and 50 mg of CBD and is often used by people who want medical relief from insomnia, stress, pain, and arthritis.
- Animalitos CBD Hot Spot Balm for Dogs: If you are looking for a CBD product for your furry friend, try this spot balm formulated with hemp-derived CBD and organic herbs. It is ideal for soothing and healing hot spots as well as healing cuts and scrapes.
There are many CBD edibles you can find in the cannabis market. They can come in the form of gummies, lozenges, mints, chocolates, and even drinks. Edibles are a fun and easy way to consume CBD. Some of the best CBD edibles available online are:
- Mota CBD Sour Squares: Contains 300 mg of CBD per package or 20mg of CBD per square. These gummies are best used to manage anxiety, pain, stress, and nausea.
- Chronic Kitchen CBD Peanut Butter Cup: These soft and chewy peanut butter cups can provide prolonged relief from daily stresses and mild pains without any psychoactive experience. Each package contains 120 mg of CBD or 30 mg per cup, which should be eaten in small portions. Ideally, you should wait for at least an hour and a half for the next bite.
- Mota White CBD Clear Sphere: This is a pineapple-flavoured jelly with 100 mg of CBD. You can easily cut it into five pieces with 20 mg of CBD in each. This product is best used to manage insomnia, pain, stress, inflammation, and anxiety.
- Boost CBD Dark Chocolate: This contains 45g of CBD per bar, which is a precise and reliable dosage for beginners. It has a bittersweet taste of dark chocolate without any traces of cannabis flavour or smell.
- Mota Medicated CBD Honey: This product is best for those who want to alleviate stress, anxiety, and inflammation symptoms. You can use this as a sweetener for tea or as a topping.
- Mota Temple Tea Egyptian Chamomile: This tea has 20 mg of CBD and 120 mg of THC, which is perfect for managing stress and pains.
Pills or Capsules
CBD Pills and capsules are great products if you want to quickly and discreetly add CBD into your daily routine. They are precise doses, so you do not have to worry about taking too much or not enough CBD for the day. Some of the ideal CBD pills and capsules you can buy today are:
- Boost Softgel Caps: Each bottle contains 1500 mg or 50 mg per capsule. This product is lab tested and precisely dosed. It is made with CBD, hemp seed oil, and gelatine to create an effective product for managing pain and anxiety.
- Headstash CBD Cap: Each pack contains 125 mg of CBD or 25 mg per capsule. It is made with MCT oil, CBD, and Pullan, which makes an effective treatment for chronic pain.
CBD tinctures are products taken under your tongue. To use them, put a few drops under your tongue and let them stay for a minute before swallowing. Taking tinctures sublingually will take quicker effects than using other methods. Some of the popular tinctures in the market that you can buy online are:
- Yoni PMS and Menstrual Cramp Relief Tincture: It contains 600 mg of THC and 100 mg of CBD per 30ml bottle. This product is specifically designed to help relieve women’s menstrual cramps and PMS pains. It is made with organic cramp bark, elderberries, passionflower, red raspberry leaf, motherwort, and CBD oil.
- Mota CBD Sleep Tincture: It contains 1000mg CBD and 150 mg Melatonin per bottle. This product is ideal for those who want to fall asleep faster and have a more profound and prolonged sleep. It is made with CBD isolate, Melatonin, and organic botanicals, which are great for managing pain, muscle spasms, stress, anxiety, and insomnia.
- Boost CBD Tincture – Focus | Grapefruit: It contains 750 mg of CBD per 30ml bottle. This product is best for those who have difficulty focusing. It is made with organic MCT oil, grapefruit essential oil, and CBD isolates.
- Animalitos CBD Cat Tincture: It contains 150 mg of CBD per 30ml bottle. This product is specifically designed to help cats manage symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease, urinary tract infection, inflammation, seizures, arthritis, anxiety, and pain. It is made with MCT oil, CBD oil, and wild pacific salmon oil.
How to Choose the Best CBD Products
To ensure that you are getting the most out of the CBD product you have purchased, ensure that the product meets the criteria we have listed below:
- Made by a reputable company or dispensary
- Provides a third-party lab test result
- Made by a manufacturer that discloses the source of their hemp
- Contains 0.3% THC or lesser
- Passes tests for heavy metals, mods, and pesticides
- Has positive customer reviews
- Does not have any FDA warning letters or lawsuits
It is vital to note that the Food and Drug Administration does not yet regulate full-spectrum CBD. Thus, you must watch out for mislabeling, a common issue with cannabis products. Read the label closely and check for third-party lab tests to confirm the source and efficiency of the product.
Although you generally do not need a prescription to buy full-spectrum CBD products, it is wise to check with your doctor or any healthcare professional before using one. This will ensure that the product will not counteract other medications you are taking.
Full-spectrum CBD FAQs
Which is better, CBD isolate or full-spectrum?
Research suggests that full-spectrum CBD products are more effective than those with only CBD isolates. This is mainly because of the entourage effects that occur when cannabinoids and other hemp components work together. Moreover, full-spectrum CBD products are less processed than CBD isolates. Thus, they are more natural. Nevertheless, CBD isolate and full-spectrum CBD can induce mind and body effects.
Does CBD need to be full-spectrum?
Not all CBD should be processed into full-spectrum products. Although the entourage effects brought by the cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids provide more benefits, other people do not prefer full-spectrum CBD products due to their THC content. If you do not want to experience the effects of THC, you can try other forms of CBD products with no THC content, such as broad-spectrum CBD and CBD isolates.
What is the difference between full-spectrum CBD and regular CBD?
Full-spectrum CBD contains many cannabis compounds, such as cannabinoids, flavonoids, and terpenes. On the other hand, regular CBD is a type of cannabinoid that is also present in full-spectrum CBD. There is also a type of CBD product called CBD isolate, which is devoid of all other cannabinoids and plant compounds aside from CBD. CBD isolates may still produce therapeutic and medical benefits, but research suggests that CBD’s health benefits are more robust when multiple compounds work together.
Is full-spectrum CBD better for anxiety?
Full-spectrum CBD contains small amounts of THC, strengthening its anti-anxiety properties. When taken in low to moderate amounts, the combination of CBD and THC produces the potential to reduce anxiety and relieve chronic pain. However, if you are sensitive to THC or do not want any potential psychoactive effects, you should pay close attention to the dosage of full-spectrum CBD or try broad-spectrum CBD products instead.
CBD products are getting increasingly popular, especially for those who want to manage specific conditions such as anxiety and chronic pain. However, research on the potential effects and benefits of CBD products, such as full-spectrum CBD, is still ongoing.
Thus, you have to be vigilant in choosing which product is safe and reliable. Always do your research and only purchase the products from a reputable dispensary.
Check Out the CBD Products at Budlyft
Take your pick from the available CBD products here at Budlyft! We offer free same-day weed deliveries if you are located in Vancouver or the Lower Mainland of Canada. Otherwise, your discreet package will arrive within one to three business days. Do you have a blog or an active social media account? Sign up as a Budlyft affiliate to earn up to 10% commission plus bonuses for every product sold through your referral links.