Gone are the days when recreational cannabis used to be limited to smoking. Nowadays, it’s opened up to a new world of consumers looking to consume weed in new and exciting ways. Cannabis beverages are taking the industry by storm, and for a good reason.
Food and beverages are an integral part of Canadian culture, so it only makes sense that Canadians would want to enjoy their favourite drinks with the added benefit of marijuana.
We’re excited about the future of infused bevies. The industry is booming, and it’s not hard to see why. What better way to enjoy your favourite drink than with a little something extra?
A Comprehensive Guide to Cannabis Beverage Potency and Dosage
The expanding market of cannabis infused beverages offers a unique and appealing way to enjoy the benefits of cannabis. As a consumer, understanding the potency and appropriate dosage of these beverages is crucial to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Here is a comprehensive guide to cannabis beverage potency and dosage, empowering you to make informed choices regarding these innovative drinks.
Understanding Serving Sizes
Cannabis beverage potency is typically measured in milligrams (mg) of THC or CBD per serving. A serving may contain anywhere from 2 to 10mg or more of THC or CBD. It’s crucial to read the product label carefully and understand the serving size to ensure proper dosing.
Dosage Guidelines for Cannabis Beverages
When it comes to cannabis infused beverages, it’s essential to follow appropriate dosage guidelines to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience:
- Start low and go slow: If you are new to cannabis beverages, begin with a low dose (5mg or less of THC) and wait at least an hour to gauge your body’s response. If desired, gradually increase your dosage in future sessions.
- Consider your tolerance: Factors such as body weight, metabolism, and previous cannabis experience can influence your tolerance to cannabis. Regular cannabis users may require a higher dosage to achieve the desired effect, while newcomers should opt for lower doses.
- Onset time: The effects of cannabis beverages typically take 30 minutes to 2 hours to set in. Be patient and avoid consuming additional doses until you know how the initial dose has affected you.
- CBD-Only beverages: For CBD-only beverages, the risk of overconsumption is lower due to the absence of psychoactive effects. However, following the recommended serving size and listening to your body’s response is essential.
Comparing Cannabis Beverage Potency to Other Consumption Methods
Understanding how the potency of cannabis beverages compares to other consumption methods can help you make informed decisions about dosing:
- Smoking and vaping: The effects of smoking or vaping cannabis are typically felt within minutes and peak after about 30 minutes. The potency of inhaled cannabis is generally higher than that of cannabis beverages, so be mindful when transitioning between the two methods.
- Edibles: Cannabis edibles, like beverages, have slower onset and longer-lasting effects. The potency of edibles can vary widely, so always read the label and follow the recommended serving size.
Flavor Profiles of Cannabis Beverages
As the cannabis beverage market grows, consumers are treated to an ever-expanding variety of flavors and experiences. There is a drink here for every taste, from fruity cocktails to herbal infusions. You will have a better understanding of the available alternatives and be able to choose the appropriate drink for your taste buds as we delve into the various flavor profiles of cannabis beverages in this essay.
The Natural Sweetness of Fruity Flavors
Cannabis drinks with fruit flavors are well-liked because of their refreshing flavor and inherent sweetness. These are some of the most typical fruity taste combinations:
- Citrus: Citrus flavors are pleasant and energizing, and common examples include lemonade, orange, and grapefruit.
- Berry: Fruit lovers sometimes opt for cannabis beverages flavored with berries like raspberry, blueberry, or strawberry because of the sweet and somewhat tangy taste they provide.
- Tropical: If you are in the mood for something a little bit different, tropical tastes like pineapple, mango, or coconut will take you away to a warm island paradise with every sip.
A Calming and Refreshing Break with Herbal Infusions
Cannabis beverages often feature herbal flavors like mint or chamomile because of their calming effect on the consumer. Here are a few examples of well-liked herbal flavor profiles:
- Lavender: With its calming properties, lavender-infused cannabis beverages can provide a relaxing and aromatic experience.
- Mint: Mint-flavored cannabis drinks offer a cool, refreshing taste that pairs well with the natural flavors of cannabis.
- Chamomile: Known for its sleep-promoting effects, chamomile-infused cannabis beverages can be a perfect choice for those seeking a calming nighttime drink.
A Warm and Comforting Embrace with Spiced Delights
Spiced cannabis beverages provide a warm and comforting experience, perfect for cozy evenings or cold weather. Some popular spiced flavor profiles include:
- Ginger: With its spicy and sweet taste, ginger-infused cannabis beverages can offer a warming sensation and potential anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon-flavored cannabis drinks provide a sweet and spicy experience that can evoke memories of autumn treats and holiday celebrations.
- Chai: Chai-inspired cannabis beverages combine spices, such as cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves, offering a rich and flavorful experience reminiscent of classic Indian tea.
Familiar Tastes with a Cannabis Twist with Classic Favorites
Cannabis beverages can also mimic the flavors of traditional drinks, offering a familiar taste with the added benefits of cannabis. Some classic favorites include:
- Cola: Cannabis-infused cola beverages provide a nostalgic taste experience, blending the familiar flavor of cola with the subtle notes of cannabis.
- Root Beer: Another classic favorite, cannabis-infused root beer offers a sweet and creamy taste with a hint of herbal undertones.
- Alcohol-Inspired: For those looking for a non-alcoholic alternative to traditional cocktails, cannabis beverages are available in flavors inspired by classic drinks, such as whiskey sour, mojito, or margarita.
Cannabis Beverages vs. Traditional Consumption Methods: A Comparison
Drinks infused with cannabis have become more popular as a novel approach to experiencing the drug’s therapeutic effects. Understanding how the effects, onset, and duration of these beverages vary from those of more conventional consumption methods, like smoking or edibles, is becoming increasingly important as the popularity of these beverages continues to rise. Below, we examine the pros and negatives of drinking cannabis instead of smoking, vaping, or eating it.
Cannabis Beverages: A Refreshing Alternative
There is a new way to experience the effects of cannabis that don’t involve smoking: cannabis infused beverages. There are many possible effects from drinking beverages infused with THC, CBD, or a combination. The onset time for cannabis beverages is typically between 30 minutes to 2 hours, and the effects can last anywhere from 4 to 8 hours, depending on the individual and the drink’s potency.
- Smoke-free and discreet
- Wide variety of flavors
- Controlled dosing
- Longer-lasting effects compared to smoking or vaping
- Slower onset time compared to vaping and smoking
- Effects may vary due to individual metabolism and absorption
Traditional Consumption Methods: Smoking, Vaping, and Edibles
Smoking and vaping are the most well-known methods of cannabis consumption, offering a rapid onset of effects (usually within minutes) that tend to peak after 30 minutes and last between 1 to 3 hours. Conversely, Edibles have a slower onset time, typically taking 30 minutes to 2 hours to kick in, with effects lasting between 4 to 8 hours or even longer.
- Rapid onset of effects (smoking and vaping)
- Familiarity and ease of use
- A wide variety of products are available
- Health concerns related to smoking
- Inconsistent dosing with homemade edibles
- Longer-lasting effects may lead to overconsumption (edibles)
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Consumption Method
Several factors can influence your choice of consumption method, including:
- Onset Time: Smoking or vaping may be more suitable if you require immediate relief. If you prefer a slower onset and longer-lasting effects, cannabis beverages or edibles may be the better choice.
- Discretion: Cannabis beverages and edibles offer a more discreet method of consumption, making them ideal for situations where smoking or vaping may not be appropriate.
- Health Concerns: For those seeking to avoid the potential health risks associated with smoking, cannabis beverages, and edibles provide a smoke-free alternative.
- Taste Preferences: Cannabis beverages come in various flavors while smoking or vaping can offer more traditional cannabis tastes. Choose the method that best aligns with your taste preferences.
Pairing Cannabis Beverages with Food and Events: Elevate Your Culinary Experience
Cannabis infused beverages are a novel and exciting approach to reap the medicinal and recreational advantages of cannabis while also enriching your eating and social experiences.
The unique effects of cannabis and the delicious flavors of the food and event will provide unforgettable experiences.
Make the most of these cutting-edge beverages by reading this piece about combining them with food and social activities.
Understanding Flavor Profiles
When pairing cannabis beverages with food, it’s essential to consider the flavor profiles of both the drink and the dish. Complementary flavors can enhance the overall dining experience, while conflicting flavors may detract from it. Consider the following pairing tips based on common cannabis beverage flavor profiles:
- Fruity Flavors: Fruit-flavored cannabis beverages pair well with dishes that have sweet, tangy, or tropical flavors, such as salads, fruit platters, or grilled fish.
- Herbal Infusions: Herbal cannabis beverages complement dishes with earthy or savory flavors, like roasted vegetables, grilled meats, or pasta dishes.
- Spiced Delights: Spiced cannabis drinks pair nicely with hearty, flavorful dishes, such as stews, curries, or Mexican cuisine.
- Classic Favorites: Cannabis beverages mimicking traditional drinks, like cola or root beer, can be enjoyed alongside classic comfort foods, like burgers or pizza.
Choosing the Right Potency
When pairing cannabis beverages with food, consider the potency of the drink and the desired effects. Lower-potency beverages may be more suitable for social gatherings or events where you want to maintain a subtle, relaxed vibe. Higher-potency drinks can be reserved for more intimate settings or when you’re looking for a more pronounced effect.
Pairing Cannabis Beverages with Events
Cannabis beverages can also be creatively incorporated into various events, enhancing the atmosphere and experience. Consider these pairing ideas for different occasions:
- Dinner Parties: Serve cannabis-infused mocktails alongside appetizers or as a pre-dinner aperitif to set the tone for a relaxed and enjoyable evening.
- Movie Nights: Pair cannabis-infused sodas or fruity drinks with popcorn and other snacks for a cozy movie night experience.
- Brunch Gatherings: Enhance your brunch with cannabis-infused cold brew coffee or a CBD-infused green juice for a revitalizing morning boost.
- Outdoor Activities: Bring cannabis-infused lemonade or iced tea for a refreshing, thirst-quenching treat during picnics, hikes, or beach outings.
When serving and enjoying cannabis beverages at events, always prioritize responsible consumption. Ensure that all guests are of legal age and aware of the cannabis content in the drinks. Start with a low dose, especially for newcomers, and wait at least an hour before considering additional servings to avoid overconsumption.
Taste the next generation of consumable cannabis
Cannabis beverages are drinks that contain some level of cannabinoids taken from the hemp plant. The idea behind these beverages is quite simple: to provide an alternative way of consuming cannabis, other than smoking it.
Whether you’re looking for something sweet or fizzy, there are plenty of options out there to choose from.
Delicious in a discreet kind of way
What’s so appealing about infused beverages is that they do not stray off from what we’re familiar with. Our days are filled with drinks of all kinds: from the morning cup of joe to the midnight glass of wine.
Now, with leaf cannabis-infused beverages, you can add beneficial cannabinoids into your daily routine without giving it a second thought.
Another reason why more and more cannabis producers and beverage brands are making their flavoured concoction is because they’re pretty popular among millennials.
According to one study by Truss Beverage Co., nearly 71% of Canadians of legal age stray away from cannabis use primarily because they do not want to smoke. An infused beverage makes it easier for younger generations to get into weed without actually having to huff one.
And what about cannabis-infused edibles? When you eat cannabis, you’ll get a pretty intense high, but THC intake slowly takes effect. In contrast, a brew acts quicker, but it’s less potent.
If we’re taking amateurs to the club, best pace them with something more manageable, no? Drinks fit seamlessly into the lifestyle of those who don’t take cannabis too seriously but still want to get the good stuff on the go casually.
How are cannabis beverages made?
Ask any hemp enthusiast, and they’ll tell you right off the bat that you cannot dissolve cannabis extract in water. Unlike other beverages, creating a satisfying infused drink takes a little more chemistry know-how.
The process involves turning cannabis distillate (i.e., CBD or THC distillate) into water-soluble drops. To do so, they’re further broken down into smaller drops. Once minuscule enough, they can easily dissolve in a solvent.
Infused beverages are loaded with cannabinoids.
Enthusiasts often swear by the benefits of drinking cannabis. Aside from the predictable and consistent experience you get, one may quench the thirst with a cannabis flavoured beverage for personal or medical reasons.
THC beverages get you high without needing to smoke
A non-alcoholic beverage containing THC provides an alternative to getting high without being exposed to potentially harmful smoke or alcohol. Drinks that contain organic cannabis oil can help improve mood, relieve symptoms of mental distress, and ward off chronic pain.
CBD beverages provide multiple health benefits
CBD beverages contain cannabidiol, the non-psychoactive compound found in marijuana. Research continues to shed light on the impressive therapeutic properties of CBD.
Unlike its cannabinoid twin, CBD does not get you high. Pairing CBD with sparkling water, citrus water, or any other delicious drink sounds like a match in heaven. Luckily, a CBD drink is not as rare as it sounds.
A few sips of CBD beverage can drastically reduce stress and anxiety, alleviate common pain, and can even help you get better sleep.
Unlike other medicated beverages, a CBD drink has very low-to-meagre levels of toxicity. Rarely will you ever overdose on a CBD beverage?
Cannabis beverages taste better than ever.
Thanks to the increasing popularity of marijuana in Canada, the infused bevy market sees new and innovative products each passing day. THE NEXT GASTRONOMIC ADVENTURE COULD JUST BE A CAN AWAY, from CBD malt flavoured beverage to infused sparkling dark cherry to houseplant grapefruit sparkling water.
Infused sparkling water and soda
Perhaps the most popular option, infused sparkling beverages provide a thirst-quenching way to get your daily dose of cannabinoids. That extra fizz works like a charm.
If your goal is healthy, be on the look for sparkling water options. They usually come in zero-sugar and low-calorie options and zesty flavours like sparkling grapefruit water, acai berry, lemon, and more.
If you want to go for a flavour that pops and is slightly sweet-tasting, then you go for a soda. You have tons of choices when you go this route: traditional style pop, fruit blends, and more.
Of course, you can’t talk about cannabis without mentioning alcohol. Traditionally, the two don’t go together. But a particular beverage that expertly combines the two might be your next go-to this coming Friday night.
Infused beers combine two sedative effects at once, offering maximum potency for those lazy days. If you’re of legal age, there’s no stopping you from having a little fun once in a while. Just drink responsibly.
Most cannabis retail stores in Canada offer some form of infused beer. Your typical beer often comes in a glass bottle for easier identification.
Popular infused beverage choices in Canada
There’s never too little when it comes to naturally flavoured beverage options here. We’ve scoured hundreds of cannabis-infused beverage reviews and compiled this list of fantastic drinks in Canada that you should try out!
- Summit THC Citrus Water: Crisp, refreshing, and breezy. It’s all that and more. The Summit THC Citrus Water will leave you feeling relaxed from those endorphins released after a good workout or sound sleep. This beverage is light yellow and smells absolutely like sunshine. Drink now to keep the autumn chill at bay!
- XMG Water Soluble Drops: XMG Drops are simple, discreet, THC-dominant water-soluble drops. All you have to do is pop one or two of these potent little guys under your tongue and feel the effects take effect.
- Green Organic Dutchman Ripple THC powder: There’s a reason people have been raving about RIPPLE. Each individually-sealed packet is small, bright green, and easy to use so that you can charge up any time with 4.5X the absorption of simple cannabis oil. RIPPLE flavour-neutral, which means it’s perfect for creating that ideal beverage or snack – just add water and stir.
- Very vell Sparkling Water: Formulated by Truss Beverage Co, the Veryvell Sparkling Water is a hemp-based CBD bevy line containing adaptogens without any calories and sugars other beverages contain. It comes in Strawberry Hibiscus, Blueberry Lavender, and Tarragon Grapefruit flavours.
- Houseplant Grapefruit Sparkling Water: Houseplant Grapefruit is a refreshing infused sparkling water with 2.5 mg of THC. A clean, lightly sweet beverage with hints of natural grapefruit flavour that is perfect for social gatherings or solitary moments alike. You’ll find it tastes just as good with the lights on as off – so you can hydrate your mind and body after a hard day at work.
- Little Victory™ Sparkling Dark Cherry: Sparkling Dark Cherry is a slightly sweet-tasting and vibrant 1:1 bevy that comes with no detectable flavour of cannabis. A hybrid blend with 2.5mg of both cannabinoids, each bottle smells sweet and suggests lovely cherry popsicles between sips.
- Mollo’s other infused beverages: Mollo touts that its line of cannabis beverages will “infuse your world with wonder.” And we’re believers! Their beer and alcoholic drinks are mind-blowingly good. If you’re of legal age, you should try them out!
What dosage works for you depends on a lot of factors.
It depends on many factors, including how you consume it and your sensitivity to the effects. When consuming infused drinks, be mindful of the potency and dose.
When drinking THC-infused drinks, keep tabs on the cannabinoid levels. While the Indica strain does not matter here, the percentage of THC does. 2-4 mg of THC is excellent for beginners, while those looking for more potent highs can go as high as 80-100 mg of THC.
You’ll also want to check the labels carefully. What might seem like a CBD-only drink might be a hybrid blend. For starters, a hybrid blend contains both THC and CBD.
Where to buy leaf cannabis-infused beverages in Canada
Most Canadian retailers offer bevies, and getting your hands on one shouldn’t be too much of a hassle. However, you might not be getting the quality you deserve.
If you’re looking for a wide range of options and top-quality products, then you’ve come to the right place. Here at BudLyft, we know we supply the best cannabis products in Canada today!
From flavorful flowers to irresistible edibles to high-potency tinctures and concentrates, you can rest assured knowing that purchases will 100% satisfy your cravings.
When it comes to cannabis drinks, we make no exceptions in quality. So are you ready to take your first sip? Check out our latest sweet offerings.
Mota Iced Tea Mix
Mota Iced Tea Mix – 150mg THC is a sophisticated and lightly crafted recipe. Made with high-quality, flavorful ingredients like citrus and pure change sugar, this summer’s thirst-quencher comes loaded with 150mg of THC, perfect for under-the-sun getaways.
When you take your first sip of Mota’s iced tea mix, you’ll taste the subtle complexities in colours, flavours, and aroma. The experience will make any occasion feel more special!
Mota Canna Cocoa
Fall asleep easier, eat better, feel happier. Mota Canna Cocoa (150mg THC) is infused with 150mg of THC to give you all the benefits of cannabis without any of the munchies!
Pair this luscious marshmallow blend with some far, warm milk or any other dairy product for an even more luxurious experience. Canna Cocoa will spice up your weeknight and take you on a smooth ride.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are cannabis-infused beverages legal in Canada?
Yes, cannabis-infused beverages are legal in Canada. The country legalized recreational cannabis use on October 17, 2018, under the Cannabis Act. However, cannabis beverages became available for sale only later, starting in December 2019. These beverages can be purchased from licensed retailers, both in-store and online. It is essential to note that strict regulations surrounding these products’ sale, marketing, and packaging ensure consumer safety. The legal age for purchasing and consuming cannabis beverages varies by province, typically 18 to 21 years. Always follow local regulations and consume these products responsibly.
What is the difference between THC-infused and CBD-infused beverages?
THC-infused and CBD-infused beverages differ primarily in the effects they produce. Beverages infused with THC can provide relaxation, euphoria, and altered sensory experiences. CBD-infused beverages are typically sought for potential therapeutic benefits, such as reducing anxiety, stress, and inflammation. Consumers can choose between beverages containing only THC or CBD, or those with a balanced ratio, depending on their desired effects and personal preferences. Always consume these beverages responsibly and start with a low dosage.
Are there any restrictions on where I can consume cannabis beverages in public?
Yes, there are restrictions on consuming cannabis beverages in public spaces in Canada. Public consumption laws vary by province and municipality, but you cannot consume cannabis beverages in places where smoking is prohibited, such as playgrounds, sports fields, or near schools. Additionally, vehicle consumption is not allowed, whether parked or in motion. Some provinces and cities may designate specific areas for legal cannabis consumption. It is essential to familiarize yourself with local regulations before consuming cannabis beverages in public to avoid fines or other penalties. Always prioritize responsible consumption and respect the rules and guidelines of your community.
How do the effects of cannabis beverages compare to traditional consumption methods, like smoking or edibles?
Cannabis beverages offer a unique consumption experience compared to traditional methods like smoking or edibles. The onset time for cannabis beverages is usually between 30 minutes to 2 hours, similar to edibles, but slower than the near-instant effects of smoking or vaping. The duration of effects from cannabis beverages typically ranges from 4 to 8 hours, longer than smoking or vaping but similar to edibles. Choose one of the many tasty cannabis-infused beverages available to avoid detection, smoke, and excess calories. To avoid becoming high from drinking too much cannabis, it’s best to ease into it with a small amount and take your time.
How much THC should one consume in a cannabis-infused drink?
How much THC a person should consume in a cannabis beverage depends on their tolerance, weight, and intended effects. First-time consumers of cannabis-infused beverages are recommended to begin with a low dose, between 2.5 and 5 milligrams of THC or CBD per serving.
More experienced users may opt for higher dosages, but it’s essential not to exceed the legal limit in Canada, which is 10 milligrams of THC per package. Always wait at least an hour before considering additional servings to gauge the effects accurately. Remember that individual reactions to cannabis can vary, so consuming responsibly and adjusting dosages accordingly is crucial.
Can I make my own cannabis-infused beverages at home?
Yes, you can make your own cannabis-infused beverages at home in Canada, but there are legal considerations and safety precautions to keep in mind. Adults can legally possess and use a maximum of 30 grams of dried cannabis, which can be converted into tinctures, oils, or other infusions for homemade beverages. It’s crucial to correctly calculate and control the dosage of THC or CBD in your concoctions to avoid overconsumption. Additionally, always label your cannabis-infused creations clearly and keep them securely stored away from children and pets. Remember to consume responsibly and respect local regulations regarding the possession, cultivation, and consumption of cannabis.
The best way to get your daily dose of quality cannabis? Get infused, my friend.
There has never been a better time to taste the next generation of consumable cannabis. Infused drinks are loaded with cannabinoids, and they’re tastier than ever!
But with so many options for drinks available at your disposal, it can be hard to know where to start looking. No matter what kind of drink sounds good to you, there are plenty of options for every palate and budget at BudLyft!
If you want something with an authentic taste that will keep you coming back for more, then head over to Bud Lyft today!
Speedy Same-Day Weed Delivery Vancouver?
If you are looking for quality weed or cannabis flowers, check out our products here on BudLyft. We provide free same-day weed delivery Vancouver and the Lower Mainland of Canada.
Sign up as a BudLyft affiliate to get up to 10% base commission plus bonuses for every item purchased via your referral link.