It is believed that smoking is still smoking regardless of what substance you use. Therefore, tobacco and weed may have equal risks when smoked. However, this is not the case. This article will tackle the dangers of tobacco and weed smoke to determine which one is more dangerous.
Before comparing and contrasting tobacco vs. weed, it is vital to know about smoking and the damage it causes. Smoking is a quick and efficient method of delivering substances to the brain. When smoking tobacco, the nicotine is delivered nearly instantly to the brain, leading to a quick neural response. The process remains the same regardless of the substance used through smoking.
Tobacco is a popular and legal drug that contains a psychoactive substance called nicotine. Nicotine increases the dopamine levels in your brain, leading to feelings of pleasure and an increase in neural activity. The regular usage of tobacco may lead to tolerance and addiction.
Like alcohol, tobacco is only restricted based on age and has been a part of the social culture for many centuries. Thus, tobacco is the most heavily used drug around the world. You can experience withdrawal symptoms lasting for a month or more when you stop using tobacco. These symptoms include:
- Increased appetite
- Sleep disturbances
- Difficulty focusing
Smoking tobacco is one of the significant causes of death worldwide, killing around 480,000 people yearly in the United States alone. Those who smoke tobacco die ten years younger than non-smokers on average. Most smokers suffer from coronary heart disease, lung cancer, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Tobacco smoke contains over 7,000 chemicals, and about 70 of them are carcinogenic, meaning they can cause cancer. When inhaled, tobacco does not just deliver nicotine to your brain but also toxins and carcinogens to your lungs. Inhaling these cancer-causing chemicals every day will undoubtedly take a toll on your health, which is why smoking is considered harmful.
Lung cancer is not the only risk you will run into when smoking tobacco. There are other mental and physical risks as well, such as:
- Decreased immunity
- Asthma and emphysema
- Sexual dysfunction
- Anxiety and depression
Marijuana or weed is an illicit drug legalized in some countries due to its medical use. Although research into its benefits is ongoing, many people use weed for its therapeutic effects. The psychoactive substance found in marijuana is tetrahydrocannabinol or THC. This cannabinoid can cause changes in your visual perception and thought processes.
Marijuana smoke and tobacco smoke have many similarities but also crucial differences. For instance, both have polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, but marijuana smoke has lower levels. However, weed smokers tend to inhale deeper and hold their breath longer. This indicates that more toxins and carcinogens are inhaled.
Overall, the dangers of smoking marijuana are not as straightforward as smoking tobacco. Nevertheless, risks are still present. For instance, the research reviewed the evidence that marijuana caused lung changes that may lead to cancer. However, no significant statistics show a link between weed and lung cancer.
Nevertheless, smoking weed has also been shown to cause other mental and physical problems, such as:
- Phlegm production
- Chronic and acute bronchitis
- Immune system suppression
- Impaired memory
- Depression and anxiety
How to Use Weed in a Safer Way
While marijuana smoke has lesser adverse effects than tobacco smoke, there are still risks. One sure thing is that burning plant matter produces harmful chemicals. Thus, the best way to eliminate the risks is to stop smoking weed. However, this may not be possible if you use the substance for medical or therapeutic purposes.
Fortunately, there are other methods of using weed to reduce the risks of its smoke. Cooking marijuana into edibles is one safe way to consume weed since it removes risks to your lungs. Weed vaporizers also limit the formation of combustion products and are thus likely to be a safer alternative than smoking.
You can now buy weed online here at Budlyft. Place your orders now and get a chance to receive your parcel within the day through our same-day delivery service. Check out some of the quality and popular products available at our shop below:
Indica weed strains are known to induce sleep and promote relaxation. They produce a body high as well as feelings of euphoria and comfort. This is why people use them during the night. Indicas often manage insomnia, stress, chronic pain, anxiety, appetite loss, and muscle spasms. Some of the popular Indica strains are:
- Blueberry: Has a THC level of 16% to 24% and can make you feel euphoric, relaxed, sleepy, and uplifted
- Blue Dream: Has a THC level of 17% to 24% and can make you feel creative, energized, happy, and euphoric
- Sunset Sherbet: Has a THC level of 15% to 19% and can make you feel energetic, social, relaxed, and euphoric
- Pink Gas: Has a THC level of 24% and a 1% CBN content. It can make you feel calm, relaxed, and sleepy
- Hindu Kush: Has a THC level of 22% to 32% and can make you feel euphoric, hungry, happy, relaxed, and sleepy
- Death Star: Has a THC level of 23% and can make you feel euphoric, giggly, relaxed, and sleepy
- Key Lime Kush: Has a THC level of 22% and can make you feel relaxed, sleepy, happy, and euphoric
- Pink Bubba: Has a THC level of 19% to 25% and can make you feel euphoric, relaxed, and sleepy
- Gelato: Has a THC level of 20% and can make you feel euphoric, calm, uplifted, and focused
- OG Kush: Has a THC level of 19% to 24% and can make you feel euphoric, energized, happy, and hungry
Sativa weed strains are known to produce uplifting and energetic feelings. They deliver a head high that can boost motivation without any couch-lock effect or sleepy feelings. This is why people use them during the day. Sativas are often used to manage anxiety and chronic pain. Some of the popular Sativa strains are:
- Super Silver Haze: Has a THC level of 18% to 23% and can make you feel euphoric, uplifted, creative, hazy, and sociable
- Candyland: Has a THC level of up to 24% and can make you feel euphoric, uplifted, creative, and sociable
- Unicorn Poop: Has a THC level of 17% to 20% and can make you feel happy, euphoric, and calm
- Trainwreck Strain: Has a THC level of 18% to 25% and can make you feel happy, euphoric, creative, energized, focused, and uplifted
- Durban Poison: Has a 24% THC, 1% CBD, and 1% CBN. It can make you feel euphoric, uplifted, creative, hazy, focused, energized, and sociable.
- Strawberry Cough: Has a THC level of 22% to 26% and a 1% CBN content. It can make you feel happy, euphoric, energized, and uplifted
- Pineapple Express: Has a THC level of 25% and a 1% CBN content. It can make you feel creative, happy, euphoric, energized, and focused
- Apple Fritter: Has a THC level of 22% to 28% and can make you feel happy, euphoric, relaxed, uplifted, and hungry
- Goji OG: Has a THC level of 22% to 26% and a 1% CBD content. It can make you feel creative, euphoric, energized, uplifted, motivated, and focused
- Bruce Banner: Has a 24% to 29% THC, 1% CBD, and 1% CBN. It can make you feel euphoric, happy, creative, and energized
Hybrid weed strains produce a combination of effects from Indica and Sativa. They deliver a balanced high that can relax your body and enhance your mood. Some hybrid strains may contain more Indica than Sativa or vice versa. Since they combine the best qualities of both strains, they are excellent strains for new weed users. Some of the popular hybrid flowers available at Budlyft are:
- Lindsay OG: Has a 19% THC level and can make you feel creative, focused, relaxed, sleepy, and uplifted
- Purple Space Cookies: Has a 20% to 25% THC level and can make you feel creative, happy, relaxed, sociable, and uplifted
- MK Ultra Smalls: Has a 20% to 22% THC level and can make you feel euphoric, sleepy, relaxed, happy, and hungry
- White Berry: Has a 22% to 24% THC level and can make you feel euphoric, creative, relaxed, and happy
- Wedding Cake: Has a 23% to 25% THC level and up to 1% CBD content. It can make you feel euphoric, uplifted, relaxed, and happy
- Triceratops: Has a 22% THC level and can make you feel euphoric, relaxed, and happy
- Sophie’s Breath: Has a 26% THC level and can make you feel creative, uplifted, energized, focused, and giggly
- Miracle Alien Cookies: Has up to 24% THC level and can make you feel euphoric, sedated, relaxed, and creative
- Larry OG: Has a 21% THC level and up to 0.5% CBD content. It can make you feel euphoric, energized, uplifted, relaxed, and hungry
- Pink Panties: Has a 20% to 24% THC level and can make you feel euphoric, sleepy, aroused, and relaxed
Weed and Tobacco Smoke: Which One Is Safer?
Tobacco and weed are different substances with profoundly distinct effects on your mind and body. While both substances provide similar chemicals when smoked, there are still some fundamental differences. On the one hand, weed smoke contains cannabinoids. On the other hand, tobacco smoke contains nicotine.
The carcinogenic properties and biological consequences of inhaling nicotine are the main reasons tobacco smoke may result in lung cancer. While weed smoke is linked with various respiratory dysfunctions, it has not been associated with tobacco-related cancers such as rectal, colon, and lung cancers.
In addition, the effects of cannabinoids are complex and unique to users. This is why some compounds in cannabis are shown to kill various cancer types like breast, prostate, skin, and lung cancer, but low doses of THC may include the growth of lung cancer cells in some cases.
In conclusion, tobacco and weed smoke have similar chemical properties that contain carcinogens and promote inflammatory immune responses. As more and more people smoke weed, the long-term consequences of this activity may become more similar to smoking tobacco.
The research on the long and short-term effects of weed is still limited. Although tobacco vs. weed’s health risks seem less concerning, more studies can reveal other potentially severe problems to your mind and body.
When deciding which to use, tobacco vs weed, it is vital to look at the potential for addiction. Tobacco products are highly addictive due to nicotine. It will be better if you use weed only for purposes prescribed by your doctor.
Tobacco vs. Weed FAQs
What is worse between weed and cigarettes?
Various studies suggest that low to moderate weed usage is less harmful to your lungs than exposure to tobacco smoke. The two may contain many of the same components, but marijuana causes less lung damage. However, since weed smokers inhale the substance more deeply and hold their breath longer than when using tobacco, they have significant exposure to tar. Thus, both tobacco and weed smoke can be harmful to your health.
What is it called when you smoke weed and tobacco?
The term “moke” is now used to refer to the mix of weed and tobacco smoked through a bong or water pipe. Mixing the two substances can produce severe effects on the mind and body. A study shows that mixing weed and tobacco increases the THC content and produces a more potent high. Moke can lead to addiction, and research has found that those who do not mix weed with tobacco are more motivated to quit and seek professional help than those who do.
How many cigarettes is one joint?
It is believed that smoking one joint of marijuana or weed is equivalent to smoking five tobacco cigarettes. A joint is also referred to as a spliff or doobie. Smoking a joint or cigarette long-term can cause severe damage to your lungs and may result in respiratory problems such as chronic bronchitis.
What does weed do to your body?
Smoking weed can produce various effects on the mind and body. Suppose you are using marijuana for medicinal benefits. In that case, it is possible to get some advantages such as lower blood pressure, reduced inflammation, stimulated appetite, alleviated pain, decreased anxiety, relaxed muscles, and so on. However, smoking weed can lead to adverse physical and mental effects such as breathing problems, cough, phlegm, lung infections, nausea, vomiting, temporary hallucinations, paranoia, and others.
Check out our products at Budlyft!
Place your order now here at Budlyft and get the items within the day through our free same-day delivery service around Vancouver and the Lower Mainland of Canada. If you have active blogs or social media accounts, sign up as a Budlyft affiliate for a chance to earn up to 10% commission plus bonuses for every product sold through your referral link!